Future of Diisocyanates
01.09.2021 | Information about the new restrictions on diisocyanates
What is diisocyanate?
Chemical substance - an organic compound with two isocyanate groups.
Are diisocyanates safe?
Yes, use is safe when chemicals are handled according to relevant risk management and safety principles.
Where it is used?
Diisocyanates react with polyols for creation of Polyurethane (PU). Polyurethane adhesives and sealants are safe, versatile product used in many applications – automotive, constructions, packaging, furniture and many more.
On 4 August 2020 a new restrictions on diisocyanates was published in the Official Journal of the EU. It targets respiratory and dermal sensitisation potencially caused by diisocyanates. By
24 August 2023 all users of PU products should be trained and certified.
1) Rules for producers
- Some new requirements must implement every producer/user of diisocyanate
2) Labelling on cans
- New labelling requirement on can from 24 February 2022
- All users trained and certified 24 August 2023
- Everybody applying PU product needs to know how to do it safely.
- Training is mandatory from 24 August 2023 for all industrial and professional users.
- Training including a final exam will be online.
- Certification will be valid for 5 years.
- Records of the training must be kept.
More information at
www.feica.eu - Safe future of Diisocyanates
Safe use of Diisocyanates - Home (safeusediisocyanates.eu)
Safe use of Diisocyanates - Diisocyanates Restriction (safeusediisocyanates.eu)