Information about the new restrictions on diisocyanates
What is diisocyanate?
Chemical substance – an organic compound with two isocyanate groups.
Are diisocyanates safe?
Yes, use is safe when chemicals are handled according to relevant risk management and safety principles.
Where it is used?
Diisocyanates react with polyols for creation of Polyurethane (PU). Polyurethane adhesives and sealants are safe, versatile product used in many applications – automotive, constructions, packaging, furniture and many more.
On 4 August 2020 a new restrictions on diisocyanates was published in the Official Journal of the EU. It targets respiratory and dermal sensitisation potencially caused by diisocyanates. By
24 August 2023 all users of PU products should be trained and certified.
1) Rules for producers
- Some new requirements must implement every producer/user of diisocyanate
2) Labelling on cans
- New labelling requirement on can from 24 February 2022
- All users trained and certified 24 August 2023
- Everybody applying PU product needs to know how to do it safely.
- Training is mandatory from 24 August 2023 for all industrial and professional users.
- Training including a final exam will be online.
- Certification will be valid for 5 years.
- Records of the training must be kept.
PAY NEW ATTENTION TO THIS INSTRUCTION
How to get certified (048 end user/consumer training – working with PU foam in normal conditions)
- Visit https://safeusediisocyanates.eu/, where a various language versions are available and choose your language.
- In the Self E-Learning section under Book and Self E-Learning, click on Book and Web based Training
- Select No. 048 Professional Application of adhesives and sealants / Small packaging at ambient temperature from the available training courses.
- Register and in the following step you can use the voucher with the code FEICA_21_G, which we provide to you as our client free of charge (This voucher is only valid for training 048, which is intended for end users / consumers, and is not used for other training required for other processors or diisocyanate manufacturers).
- Take the webinar. After completing the webinar, you will be prompted by the system to answer test questions.
- You will receive a certificate as proof of completion of the test to the email address provided during registration. The validity of the obtained certificate is limited in time, but the system will prompt you to renew it well in advance.
We recommend that all employees who may work with PU foam even occasionally (development workers) take this webinar and the subsequent test.
More information at
www.feica.eu – Safe future of Diisocyanates
Safe use of Diisocyanates – Home (safeusediisocyanates.eu)
Safe use of Diisocyanates – Diisocyanates Restriction (safeusediisocyanates.eu)